I had the privilege of traveling to India for a summer mission trip in 2002. It was a life-transforming journey. My life will be forever changed by the many life experiences and vivid memories—memories of a gentle people, of elaborate temples with strange idols, of spiritual darkness and blatant evil, of foreign sounds, unusual foods, and strange landscapes. Yet, there is another memory that I wish to share today.
While traveling back home to the United States, we flew over the coastline of southern Greenland. As I looked out the airplane window at 25,000 feet, I saw breathtaking beauty right before my eyes—a black, harsh, and roughed landscape containing many large reservoirs of sparkling emerald and turquoise water all set against the backdrop of a deep blue ocean containing floating masses of white ice. As I gazed over this terrain, I found myself focusing upon the icebergs. Here, I recalled what I had previously been taught . . . scientists estimate that only about 10% of an iceberg is actually visible, leaving the remaining 90% submersed.
It was there that the icebergs of Greenland reminded me of our Christian faith—that only a small portion of all that God promises is now visible to the physical eye. The remainder of our inheritance is claimed by our faith in the sovereignty of God.
By faith, my friends, fully claim the future promises of God today.
In Joy, Dennis
Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1).
Leave a Reply